Cary Camp Compass Course
Cary Camp has thirty official orienteering waypoints spread out across its grounds. Some are easy to locate, and some are quite challenging. This course was laid out using a GPS and all bearings are referenced to true north. Here are the files you need to get started:
- locations.pdf - the latitude and longitude of the waypoints
- bearings.pdf - the range and bearing from each point to every other point
- cary.gdb - Garmin GeoDatabase file of the waypoints. This can be used with BaseCamp, Google Earth or other applications to show their locations. You can also import it to many GPS units. Note that it doesn’t download cleanly; right-click the link and select "save link target as".
Suggested starting points are:
- Waypoint 27 - Totem pole by front parking lot
- Waypoint 28 - Center flagpole in front of McCallister (no marker)
- Waypoint 29 - Fire pit at Council ring (no marker)
- Waypoint 30 - Totem Pole by Newell Shelter
All waypoints, except #28 and #29, are marked with a standard orienteering marker, like the one to the right, about three inches square. Most waypoints are simply markers mounted on stakes.
This course was checked on May 21, 2016. Marker #12 is missing; all other markers are in place.
This compass course is courtesy of Steve Truex, Scoutmaster, Troop 372/Advisor, Crew 2372.